#ProjectForeverBody - Why I Don’t ‘Diet’

Thursday, 2 June 2016

#ProjectForeverBody - Why I Don’t ‘Diet’
 
I like to think I live a healthy lifestyle, I exercise regularly, eat a reasonable amount of Carbs/Fat/Protein, and always try to try new things to remain active and stop idol hands. Now, don’t get me wrong I’ve tried diets in the past but as I’ve learnt there a quick solution to a more permanent problem.
Lifestyle ~The term lifestyle can denote the interests, opinions, behaviours, and behavioural orientations of an individual, group, or culture over a period of time.
Dieting ~ Dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated and supervised fashion to decrease, maintain, or increase body weight. In other words, it is conscious control or restriction of the diet.


To me, a ‘healthy’ lifestyle is a permanent choice to better your body, help to nourish it correctly and to better yourself in the long run. So for myself to achieve what I deem is a healthy lifestyle, I have a green smoothie most mornings, you can find the recipe here, I attend the gym usually every working day, I try to stick to an 80:20 rule and track my macros – just to keep on top of things.
Now, an 80:20 rule is applied to food as a more approachable way to have a healthy lifestyle, it is a rule that goes by eating healthy foods 80% of the time and allowing yourself to indulge 20% of the time; This rule requires HUGE self-control and really teaches you about yourself and your body. The best way I’ve found to adhere to this rule is to limit myself each day to the indulgent things I eat, and enter what foods I do eat on MyFitness Pal – this allows me to track how many of each food group I consume a day.
Macronutrients - Are those nutrients required in large amounts that provide the energy needed to maintain body functions and carry out the activities of daily life. There are 3 macronutrients – carbohydrates, proteins and fats; Carbohydrates (to fuel energy), Fats (to keep you satiated) and Proteins (to build and repair muscle).

To track your macro’s to achieve your goals is a great way of controlling your lifestyle in a healthy non damaging way, to find out your perfect macros you need to see a qualified Dietitian/Nutritionist, some Personal Trainers are qualified in Nutrition, as they will be able to find the perfect balance between achieving your goals and looking after/maintaining your health.
The main reasons I don’t diet are because;
1.    It’s ridiculously bad for your health

2.    It’s a quick fix to a long term problem

3.    It can cause health problems; mentally and physically

4.    You can, in some cases, develop severe eating disorders

5.    It consumes/overrules your mental attitude to food

6.    You feel worse about your body once you’ve stopped ‘dieting’

So my top tip to living and achieving a ‘healthy’ lifestyle is to consult a qualified Dietitian/Nutritionist to talk about your current diet, goals and current health, so you get the most informative discussion that is taking your health into consideration!


What do you consider to be a healthy lifestyle?

Emma x

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment